Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Modern Engine House - Weathering

I wanted the Modern Engine House to be a well used and weathered building.  The roofs of buildings rarely get any attention unless there is a leak or a roof vent has something within it.  And why bother really, only people in airplanes or hot-air balloons can see it.

 
To weather the building I used weathering powders and a few dry brushes.  The weathering powders I used were from A.I.M. Products. Never purchased anything from them other than these powders, but I am very happy with the results.  I would recommend their powders to others.



As their own website and included recommendation letter states, "These powders are quite intense so please put some paper under the model you are weathering to catch any excess and reduce chances of making any mess." so I took their warning.  It did not take much powder to create the effect I was looking for.  I also put a piece of paper under the building when weathering to reduce any mess and gather the excess powder.


I used three stiff brushes to apply the powder to the building.  One fine line artist brush, one narrow artist brush and one small foam brush.  I used the fine brush to apply spot specific rust powder to the roof vents and all metal items on the building (door trim, roll-up door housing, etc).  The narrow brush was used to spread the dark powders on the roof and common areas where exhaust/grease develop over time.  It was also used to spread the earth powder at the bottom edge of the building.


The foam brush I used to help blend and fade the powders all over.

Back to the powders from A.I.M., as reported they are intense and do not take much to get the wanted effect.  At the rate that I used these powders, they will last me another 50 years.  Testing the rust on a white sheet of paper I learned that dipping the brush into the powder put too much powder on the brush, even if I just put the end into the power.  Instead, I kept the lid on the powder container, held the lid top closed tight with my thumb, and shook the power until it placed a fine layer of dust onto the lid.  I then removed the lid and used the brush to gather up the fine dust layer within the lid.  Practicing the application process helped too.


I am happy with the weathering results.  This is basically the end of the road for the building.  Any suggestions or comments?  On to the next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment